The Campeche area offers some of the finest and most consistent fishing for baby and juvenile tarpon. The huge network of mangrove lagoons, turtle grass flats and creeks stretch over 100 kilometers. Mangroves that begin immediately north of the city provide options for excellent year-round tarpon fishing as the weather and tides change.
One of the reasons we love Campeche so much is its approachability for first-time saltwater anglers. Baby and juvenile tarpon are usually keen to eat a fly and if hooked, will run, and jump several times, making them extremely fun to catch. The multitude of shots that anglers are offered during a trip, combined with the excitement of hooking a tarpon is surely one of the best introductions available to the world of saltwater fly fishing.
And while on the hunt for tarpon, the snook and barracuda that share these waters can offer up their own fun and challenges.
Every morning the guides will greet you to discuss fishing details for the day. Breakfast will be served 30 minutes before sunlight (time depends on the season but should be between 5:30 and 6:00).
Following breakfast, anglers board boats at the marina. Fishing usually lasts nine (9) hours and rides can vary depending on your guide’s fishing plan. A short ride could be 15 minutes, a long one can take up to one hour and 20 minutes to reach the farthest spots.
Lunch is always in the cooler, primarily cold sandwiches, snacks, and refreshments. Please let us know of any dietary restrictions or allergies beforehand.
Boats used by Casa Clorinda are clean, well-designed, custom-built backcountry skiffs that comfortably accommodate two fishermen and a guide. The boats are roomy and comfortable with large, open casting decks.
Fly-Fishing Equipment Recommendations:
• Rods: A minimum of two fly rods 8wt and 9wt will cover your fly rod needs. A 7wt is also a pleasure to fish with it.
• Reel: A real designed for saltwater with good disc brake, capacity 100yd of 20lb backing.
• Line: Tropical designed WFF floating fly line such as SA Amplitude Textured Infinity and Amplitude Textured Tropical Jungle Titan.
• Leader: 9ft to 12ft tapered 20lb to 25lb fluorocarbon with 15” to 20” of 40lb to 60lb fluorocarbon shock tippet.
• Flies: At times these fish can be very fussy! We do recommend you bring as many flies as you can in various sizes and colors. Don’t forget your EP® FLIES! Top water flies are the best and most exciting ones, such as Poppers, Divers, and Gurglers. We offer a limited selection of flies at Casa Clorinda.
***Flies with small sizes hooks are not recommended
Global Rescue’s Signature Travel Insurance
We strongly recommend protecting the cost of your trip and other non-refundable travel expenses with a travel insurance. Global Rescue’s Signature Travel Insurance allows you to insure all your expenses and covers all activities. While a Signature Travel Insurance policy can be purchased at any time, purchasing a policy within 20 days of making your initial trip deposit gives you the widest range of policy options. To purchase a policy, click https://globalrescue.com or call +1-617-459-4200. Global Rescue’s Signature Travel
Casa Clorinda believes that your upcoming trip is a significant investment, which you should cover. For this reason, we strongly recommend you purchase travel insurance. We recommend AIG Travel comprehensive travel insurance. https://mp.travelguard.com/